Time flies!
It's more than 15 years and I have spent countless hours in the kitchen.
I have chopped vegetables, stirred pots while thinking about the day ahead, tried new recipes, repeated old favourites, and, more times than I can count, stood in the kitchen wondering what on earth I was going to cook next!
When we think about cooking, we often think about ingredients, recipes, measurements, and the time it takes to prepare a meal.
But behind every homemade dish, there is something much more meaningful.
There is care. There is love. There are memories. And sometimes, there is a little piece of ourselves.
Cooking Begins With Care
Every day, we make choices about what to cook for the people we love.
We think about what they enjoy eating. We remember who likes things spicy and who doesn't. We know who will happily eat vegetables and who needs a little convincing!
These may seem like small things, but they are quiet expressions of care.
And that is where the emotion in cooking begins.
A Recipe Can Hold a Memory
There are certain foods that can take us back in time without warning.
A familiar aroma can remind us of childhood. A particular spice can bring back memories of our mother's or grandmother's kitchen. A simple dish can remind us of a festival, a family gathering, or a Sunday lunch from years ago.
Sometimes, I prepare a dish I haven't made in a long time, and suddenly I am transported to another time, another kitchen, or reminded of another person.
That is the beautiful thing about food.
We don't just remember flavours. We remember the moments attached to them.
The Kitchen Is More Than a Place to Cook
A kitchen can be one of the busiest places in a home, but it can also be one of the warmest.
It is where conversations begin while vegetables are being chopped. It is where children watch their parents cook and slowly become curious about food.
It is where family recipes are shared, cooking tips are passed down, and sometimes the best conversations happen without anyone planning them.
Over the years, I have realised that some of my favourite kitchen moments had very little to do with the actual recipe.
It was the laughter.
The conversations.
Someone coming into the kitchen just to see what was cooking.
Someone tasting the food and saying, “It needs a little more salt.”
And, of course, someone asking, “Is it ready yet?”
These ordinary moments are what make cooking special.
Cooking Is Love Without Words
We don't always say “I love you” every day.
Sometimes, we show it differently.
We prepare someone's favourite breakfast. We make a comforting meal when they have had a difficult day. We spend extra time preparing a dish simply because we know how much they enjoy it.
A homemade meal can quietly say:
I thought about you.
I remembered what you like.
I wanted to make something for you.
Sometimes, that says more than words ever could.
What Cooking Has Taught Me
When I first started cooking, I was probably more focused on getting the recipe right.
Was the texture correct?
Did I use the right amount of spice?
Did the dish turn out the way I expected?
But after more than 15 years of cooking, I have learned that perfection isn't really the point.
Some of the most memorable meals I have made were not perfect.
Maybe the recipe didn't turn out exactly as planned. Maybe I changed an ingredient because I didn't have it at home. Maybe I was experimenting and ended up creating something completely different.
And that's okay.
Cooking has taught me that food doesn't have to be perfect to be meaningful.
What matters is the love and intention behind it.
Because in the end, a meal is rarely just a meal.
It can be a memory, a tradition, a moment of togetherness, or a way of saying “I care” without saying a word.
And sometimes, the most meaningful family memories begin with something as simple as:
“What's cooking?”


No comments:
Post a Comment